Our District Churches – In Colour
No 2 St Andrew’s Church, Tur Langton
“The most individualistic 19th century church in the county.” Inspired by Joseph Goddard, son of Henry Goddard and built by H Goddard & Sons in 1865/6 in what is called typical High Victorian style. Thirteenth century Gothic references however using a new and very unconventional material for churches at this time, brick. Joseph Goddard in subsequent years became the creator of one of Leicester’s most notable monuments, the Clock Tower. Our picture shows the impressive north face. It has five bays with three-light windows with quatrefoil piercings in their Bath stone heads. The broach-spire is also brick built.
The interior contains original woodwork typical of Goddard’s in the 1860s, a rather over indulgent stained glass window by Heaton, Butler and Bayne. The window is described as having a ‘pastry-cutter’ tracery.