What’s Going On? January 2022
Here is an occasional column devoted to certain happenings in and around our district which we have noted.
Former Kleena Site (More recently known as Clarkes of Great Glen) is being cleared and readied for a small development. The place seems to of considerable interest to Crouch Recovery!
21/00143/OUT | Outline application for the demolition of factory unit and erection of 8 dwellings (Access and Layout to be considered) (Resubmission of 18/01527/OUT) | Clarkes Of Great Glen Ltd New Road Kibworth Beauchamp Leicestershire LE8 0LE
Will the chimney survive as an icon of Kibworth’s industrial age?
Kibworth Medical Centre
Remember this? Now the South Leicestershire Medical Group’s main building.
First envisaged in 2010 and later built by Matrix Medical Kibworth Ltd – (Company number 09341616) – a private company set up primarily to build the facility is currently in voluntarily liquidation. The Health Centre (planning application 14/00147/when designed boasts eleven consultations rooms plus other facilities. “The new premises will enable a wider and more comprehensive range of healthcare facilities and has full NHS support.”
Health Centre Opportunities
The following is from the application and may be of interest to our readers…
“OPPORTUNITIES CREATED BY THE HEALTH CENTRE
- 4.1 The provision of the health centre provides an opportunity to increase and improve the healthcare provision offered in Kibworth and the catchment area. The new health centre will deliver the following improvements compared with the existing premises;
- the new health centre will provide a purpose designed facility to enable the medical practices to meet the needs of an ever increasing patient list;
- the new health centre will provide expansion space to allow the flexibility to meet future changing healthcare needs within the local community;
- the new health centre overcomes the current substandard premises in respect of their design and room size and their inability to be altered to meet Disability Discrimination Act requirements;
- the new health centre provides a significant improvement in space from the existing health centre and enables GP trainees to be accommodated and the expansion of such services;
- the new health centre will provide fit for purpose premises that will address concerns raised by both staff and patients in respect of the physical inadequacies of the existing premises;
- the new health centre will provide the ability to develop services offered with only minor changes to current skills and resources including dermatology, extended minor surgery, substance;
- misuse, family planning and counselling. The practice also has a longer term vision to provide services such as pain management, ophthalmology and echocardiography.
4.2 The above clearly sets out a range of improvements to local healthcare provision that can be delivered by the provision of the new health centre.”
On the greswoldconstruction.com website
“KIBWORTH MEDICAL CENTRE (a £1.8million development)
Replacement Medical Centre in the Leicestershire Village of Kibworth. The new Medical Centre expands primary care services in the area and the building itself boasts a BREEAM Excellent rating for energy. The new centre includes 11 purpose built consulting and treatment rooms, a minor operations suite and a counselling room.”
Can the staff respond?
Obviously the outbreak of SARS2 -Covid has impinged significantly on the expansion of the work of our GPs. Also, in the intervening period since the publication of the plans and subsequent building of the facility, several part- time and possibly full-time doctors have retired. This has put an immense strain on the workforce that remains. However there is continuing disquiet regarding this facility, its workforce and general access. Perhaps the staff can respond to this.