Gaulby Ringers raise funds for church project
A sponsored quarter peal rang out on 1st December at St Peter’s, Gaulby. The team of local ringers raised over £750 to boost the funds of the Gaulby project. The project aims to provide an improved community space within the church as it is the only public building in the village.
As well as regular worship, the church is well known for Saturday afternoon cream teas in the summer. A toilet cubicle was added several years ago within the ground floor ringing room which has to have it’s door dismantled to allow the tenor bell to be rung. Not an ideal situation for the ringers or anyone wanting use of the facilities!
The £60,000 project will create an open area at the rear of the church with new kitchen facilities, and convert the ground floor ringing room into a fully accessible toilet and storage area. In addition, the ringers will have a new ringing chamber at first floor level in the tower. The church tower was built in 1741 and has a rare one-handed clock from an earlier date.
Fundraising is still ongoing and, after some preliminary work by volunteers, the main building works will commence in January.