Articles & Features

About the Chronicle

Advertisers Information

Contact Us

In our March 2013 issue we published an article about the Halford family

at Wistow under the title ‘Connections’.  Mentioned in that article was

Dr James Vaughan, founder of the Leicester Royal Infirmary. 

Here is a short biography of an eminent surgeon of the Royal Infirmary

Sir Charles Hayes Marriott MD, FRCS, DL, JP

whose career and name has some bearing on Kibworth today.

 

Born in Kibworth Harcourt on 18 October 1832, Charles was the son of John Marriott, a surgeon, and wife Georgiana. After attending Uppingham School, Charles was articled to Mr Nash of Northampton and, after 3 years’ appenticeship proceeded to University College, London, receiving instruction from Sir William Jenner.

In 1859 he became House-Surgeon at Leicester Royal Infirmary and, within a few years, became recognized as the foremost surgeon of the district. Whilst performing sterling work for the LRI he retained his General Practice in Kibworth.

 

He was amongst the early doctors to embrace motor transport and, according to his obituary in the British Medical Journal, he would put a nurse, a portable operating table, and half a dozen bags full of surgical appliances into his tonneau, and race away to an operation or accident twenty miles away. He was elected to the General Council of the British Medical Association in 1874, and in 1876 was appointed a trustee for the Leicester Royal Infirmary’s property and stocks, the only member of the medical staff to achieve that position.

      

In 1882 he was elected President of the Medical Society. He was Deputy Lord Lieutenant and a Justice of the Peace for the County and City of Leicester. The Marriott ward on the first floor of the Langham Wing at the Infirmary was opened in 1923 and perpetuates his name.

      

Charles Marriott was captain of Kibworth Cricket Club and whilst playing in home matches his medical training was occasionally called upon. In one game, Alfred Knapp, had a dislocated thumb reset, and during another match, one of his team suffered abdominal pains that were quickly diagnosed as appendicitis. The patient, John Thomas Freer, was immediately taken to the Infirmary with Charles Marriott closely behind. On arrival at the Infirmary the cricket club captain, Charles Marriott, removed the offending organ.

 

 He is credited with the distinction of being the only person to have hit a cricket ball over the now demolished Johnson  & Barnes hosiery factory on the corner of Fleckney Road and Dover Street, gaining a well deserved and magnificent six.

      

Charles Marriott was the first chairman of Harcourt Parish Council and is commemorated in the village by Marriott Drive, although Harborough District Council managed to misspell the Marriott name, by omitting the final ‘t’, when the name-plates were erected in June 1993. This mistake was rectified soon afterwards.

      

Sir Charles Marriott died on the 14 February 1910 and is buried in St Wilfrid’s churchyard in Kibworth.

(Material taken from an article found at www.kibworth.org)

Issue 358

January 2014


Home  | Articles & Features | Advertisers Information About the Chronicle  |  Contact Us

International Standard Serial Number 1477 9188

Website Designed & maintained by  Jan Heaney 2010-2014